20090628

second-hand goods

The pawnshop has been doing well for me lately. It's normally pretty quiet inside--plenty of time to read or do whatever. But sometimes someone comes in to sell something and sometimes they're willing to talk. Sometimes there's a story to be had, but sometimes they just tell me what's been going on, in the world, in their lives, wherever. I get most of my news from my patrons, or from people talking about it in other places.

And when someone brings in a book or something to pawn I'll read it then, or watch it if it's a movie or listen if it's music. It's a way to kill the time, to pick things up. It's often enough that I pretty much always have something to do in the evenings. It's nice for when I have a date and need something to do.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not missing something by mostly relying on the pawn shop for my information and entertainment. But in many ways it lets me keep up with whatever is going on. I can be informed and chat about everything that I see or hear about. Nobody has any real idea that I'm scraping by on second-hand goods.

No comments: