20091226

camera shy, pt. 5

I came home several hours later, to find her alone. She was lying on the bed with the covers in disarray, the crowbar and gun on the floor nearby. She was smiling and staring at the ceiling blankly.

I sat down next to her but she didn't stir. I said, "So, do you still want to go camping in two weeks?"

"Let's go now," she said, still not moving. "It's so perfect. We can go downtown and camp on the common and roast marshmallows on the burning buildings."

"What happened to--"

"Shut the fuck up and let me bask in the beauty of the moment," she said, and who the fuck am I to argue with that?

She lay just like that for what must have been hours. After a while I left and destroyed that last camera she'd missed, and set it down next to her on the bed. I sat on the roof of the building and watched the fires burning into the night. This wasn't mine to share.

2 comments:

Stepho said...

This inspired this.

Thank you. :)

rs said...

That is so cool. Thanks!