20070101

meditations on a leather-bound journal, pt. xiv

I attended a New Year's Eve party at a club downtown. I didn't have a date--most of my friends think I'm acting weird, and I wasn't interested in a date anyway. It would just make me think more of her, of the notebook. It was getting to be too much. I needed a diversion. I needed some time to myself.

A girl with a mask on was standing near me when the countdown began. I noticed she seemed to be watching me, not the screen. As the crowd shouted 'happy new year!' she pulled me close and kissed me. I was shocked, to say the least. I know I still looked rough. When she released me I whispered 'Liana?' and took her mask off.

I understand now why she threw the notebook away. Everything has become a lot clearer.

Happy 2007.

5 comments:

Laura said...

i found this sort-of randomly [scary go round had something to do with it] and 'meditations...' reminds me of parts of House of Leaves in some ways--a compliment, i promise.

rs said...

I've read House of Leaves. I'm glad you think it's similar in a good way.

Anonymous said...

good stuff, interesting.

i read it all.

still processing the meaning...or if there even is one.

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this looking for productivity things to do with my Molskne notebook. I have to say, you are a very talented writer. It is literature like this that makes me want to become a publisher just so I can send you an email saying I'll publish you. Unfortunately, I don't have much of a passion for writing, and only a small love for reading. This however, this was different. I was riveted to this story, as if I had just learned to read.. I loved it.

rs said...

I'm glad you enjoyed, Sir or Madam Anonymous. You're my favorite kind of visitor and I'm very glad you left me a comment. Thanks for reading.