20070423

gum

Something like two a.m. and I'm standing in the grocery store talking to this girl. I don't know her name but the line is really long and it's the only register open. She just started talking to me, like I might care what she has to say. Turns out she just had a nasty break with her boyfriend (and I assume she's saying this because she's hoping for a one night stand with yours truly, though she's buying a lot of stuff and I'm just getting a bottle of Coke and I don't want to stick around) so she's single now. She's not sad, she's pissed. Talking about destroying his life, burning it down, telling him just what she thinks of him, and I'm thinking yeah, sure, lady.

"What about you? You have a lady friend?" she says when she notices I'm checking out the selection of sugar-free mint gums with taglines like "The Freshmaker" and not paying attention to her anymore. I shrug and say "Not really" because nobody wants to hear "It's complicated" because they think that means you want to explain and I don't really. "Oh," she says, and grabs a pack of gum. "I like this kind."

I'm thinking good for you, lady. I don't get a pack. When I check out I say "See you" even though I know I won't.

4 comments:

M Jones said...

Every time I've tried to IM you on msn for the last three days, it says 'message cannot be delivered'. omgwtf?

Anonymous said...

That comment was from Toast by the way.

Anonymous said...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/plaidtoaster/grr.jpg

I still don't know why this is happening. Also I don't remember your email, hence contacting you via comments. :p

Jaye Logan said...

under stand before u judge.