20090702

secret rain

I woke up at four in the morning and couldn't go back to sleep. It had been thundering off and on all night but it wasn't very noticeable. As I put some water on to make tea and sat down on the couch, though, the sky flashed and a few seconds later there was a rumble of fast-approaching thunder.

I sat down on the couch with my tea and turned the lights off, and it started raining--it wasn't before--harder than I could remember it doing in a long time. The sky kept flashing with lightning. From my living room I could mostly only hear the storm--the beating rain, the thunder, the wind starting to pick up. Occasionally I'd see the flash.

Eventually it calmed down. The thunder passed by, growing increasingly distant, and the rain let up to a more constant drizzle, but for a while I had my own thunderstorm to keep me company in the morning hours.

No comments: