20090920

no apology necessary

She finds me in the back of the library and sits down opposite me and says, "Hey," like nothing was ever wrong. Yesterday we weren't speaking and she was pointedly avoiding my gaze. I sigh and mark my place and say, "Hey." I want to ask her what she wants, to tell her that everything is not okay. Instead I ask her, "How's it going?"

"I'm good. I'm good." She seems more self-conscious of the volume of her voice than the fact she is talking to me at all. "What are you up to these days? I haven't seen you in forever."

"Yeah, I've been busy. I haven't been very exciting. I guess that's why I haven't called or anything."

"Well, hey, if you're free this weekend--"

"Uh, what day?"

"I don't know. Maybe Saturday?"

"Sure, sure. Uh, go on."

She nodded. "I was going to watch some movies, at my place. You're invited, if you, if you--" she trailed off, then smiled.

"I think I can make it."

"Good. I'll, uh. I guess I'll see you then."

And she leaves and despite everything I can't bring myself to keep holding a grudge.

No comments: