20091224

camera shy, pt. 3

I didn't watch the riots until later. It was just that suddenly everything exploded. Kelly, meanwhile, took her hostage back home and told her to sit on the couch. At this point the poor girl was terrified enough she didn't even need the threats. She sat down. Then Kelly took the crowbar and destroyed the cameras in the living room.

I ran into the living room, saying something like "What the fuck are you doing?" and Kelly pointed the gun at me and told me to sit down on the easy chair.

"I don't understand what's got into you," I said, and I realized it was a lie.

She did, too. "Get the fuck out. Get the fuck out of my house." I fled.

She walked around the house and looked for more cameras. She destroyed some things just because she could--but she missed one of the cameras. While the world was on fire I just sat and watched her.

"Can I get you anything?" she said to her hostage. "Some tea? Something to eat?"

"No, thank you."

"Would you like to play chess? I would like to play chess."

"I--I'd like that, thanks."

She set out a board. They played in silence for a while. Just the soft sliding and clicking of pieces being moved. Then, "I'm sorry I threatened to kill you." Click. "I wouldn't have really." Slide. "You seem like a nice girl. I'm sorry. I panicked."

"What's this all about?" Click.

"I was just tired of--of this. Nobody's honest. It's all sideways and fake smiles. It's not honest like--like bashing in a TV set." Then she smiled a cracked smile and said, "I think I fucked up real bad." Click.

"I'm not sure I know what you mean." Slide.

"No, me neither." Click. "Checkmate."

At about this time the old air raid siren went off, and they looked out onto the streets, where around them the world was discovering the honesty of violence.

No comments: