20100215

changes

In the convenience store last night I walked into another world. I was in the back corner considering if I wanted to buy a pack of Jones soda when it happened. Everything was different somehow, though I couldn't tell what had changed. I figured it was just sleep deprivation catching up to me and went home. I put my soda in the refrigerator and laid down on the couch to take a nap.

My girlfriend came over later and we chatted for a while. I asked if she'd gotten a haircut or done something different with her hair or something and she said no, nothing had changed. I shrugged and went into the kitchen to get us a soda, and we sat down and drank.

It did not taste like any soda I'd ever tasted. I said, "Does this taste funny to you?" and she took a sip and said, "No, it's just fine." And then I gave her mine. "Tastes just the same."

I tried hers. It was different, too. I sighed. "Maybe I'm just getting sick or something."

"Sorry, hon."

I told her I was really tired, and she'd had a long day, so we took a nap. It felt strange having her there--she didn't feel familiar like she used to. Her kiss felt uncertain. I slept uneasily, and I slept for a long time. When I woke up I was groggy and confused, and had no idea where I was. I barely recognized my girlfriend, and it was only the memory that that's who it was that reminded me--I'm in my house. This is my bed. That's my lamp.

So why don't I recognize any of it?

No comments: