20100314

mistaken identity

Everyone that I know is mistaking me for someone else now. They all think I'm the same person, but it's not me--it's a friend we used to have a few years ago. He moved out of town and I lost touch with him, and so did everyone else. But now they think that it's me, and they think I've been here the whole time.

The girl I had a crush on all through high school thinks we're dating and she's confused when I seem aloof. "Is something wrong?" she'd ask and I'd have to say something like no and pretend like this made sense and like kissing her was something that happened every day. It's not the easiest thing to pretend.

The worst part about it is how popular this person they think I am is. Everyone loves me and wants to spend time with me, and all of the things I've done are talked about with the highest praise. Which I thought would be nice, at first, but none of it is really mine. I'm pretending to be grateful that these people are talking up accomplishments that never happened, smiling while they praise the me that never existed.

No comments: