20100308

property damage

A friend of mine is staying on my couch after her place burned down. It was the least I could do. She's asleep right now. She's just got the bag she had with her while she was out. A change of clothes, a computer, some things she always keeps with her in case she doesn't make it home before the trains close.

I guess she won't be going home for a while now. I tried helping her figure out if she's insured or whatever but I don't know the first thing about insurance. She doesn't either. She said she didn't have any other luck finding someone who was willing to put her up, and thanked me a lot. Which I guess is understandable, but I wish she wouldn't.

It's just that I get kind of nauseous when something bad happens to other people. I had another friend break her arm and last time I thought about it I had to leave the room. It feels so wrong. That's not how it's supposed to go. It's so completely senseless.

So I do what I can to make things right. It's never enough but it helps calm my stomach a little bit, at least. She has a place to sleep tonight. And maybe she'll get insurance money or someone will be able to help.

But everything's gone and even if it's just things they're things she'll never get back, and that doesn't sit right with me.

I wrote her a note. I'm leaving early. I've got some forgetting to do.

No comments: