20210203

a prelude for february

2021 sure did start out rough, huh? Republicans openly attempting to stage a coup, three solid weeks of holding our breaths and wondering if there would, in fact, be a transfer of power to the newly elected Joe Biden, let alone a peaceful one. And then all that insurrectionist energy fizzled out and we have a new president and everyone is so fucking desperate to pretend that things are normal again. And I get it; it's been a rough half a decade. It's important to take some time to rest. But the problems that led to the last five years have not gone anywhere, and they will not go anywhere if we don't do something about it.

It's been a warm winter, so far, relatively speaking. A few cold fronts, a few threats of snow that never went anywhere, but mostly it's been warm and unremarkable. Perhaps the weather's tired. I think everyone's tired around February, when it's been cold and dark for so long and there's still at least another month before it ends--and that's when the world hasn't been on fire for the past five years. The sheer exhaustion of simply existing these days is hard to fathom. But we made it. There might be an end in sight to the pandemic, at least.

I still need to work on fixing the Vaudeville Ghosts website. I'd like to put up my media reviews as they happen instead of waiting until the end of the year for them; perhaps for the end of the year I'll try to write up something a little pithier for my media lists, to make them more readable. (Medium said my last one was a 30 minute read, which is quite a lot, and I do tend to ramble.) So that's my goal for this month: get that website up and working.

Anyway. Winter's not over yet. Things are looking calm right now but who knows when the weather will break? We've miles to go before spring and February has a history of surprising everyone. It's not quite yet time to put away those winter coats.

No comments: