20090507

my own mistakes

My mother wasn't there much, emotionally, when I was a kid. Sure, she gave me food and shelter and basic needs, and even a fair amount of the things I wanted, the little luxuries and frivolous necessities. But she was distant, reserved, since father died. I hated her for it. She'd help me out if I was injured physically but if I needed someone to talk to she just wasn't available. Even if I tried she'd just sit there, frozen, like she was afraid to answer but couldn't run away--not from her son.

I watched my friends carefully. They were close to their parents. Even when they fought, it was the fighting that happens when you're close to someone--only angry because there's love there, and you've bruised the relationship. Not my mother. It was so cold and emotionless. It was worse, watching her interact with her friends--laughing, engaged. There was so much intimacy in that stupid, hateful, petty gossip they'd share, when they thought I wasn't paying attention. When she brought men home and you could feel the warmth between them. It was sickening.

I'm not going to pretend I made good decisions. I didn't. I did everything I could think of to rebel. Some of it I wanted to. Some of it was just in the hopes she'd do something, say something. I wanted to see some anger, some disappointment, anything at all. And the less she cared the more I hated her for it. I moved out as soon as I could, just to get away. Things haven't gone well for me since then. I hate this apartment. I never used to drink to escape, or womanize just to try to feel something again. I can barely stay on top of my bills. I'm exhausted and unmotivated and purposeless.

The thing is I know there's people worse off than me. My ex came from an abusive past--they just wanted to raise their daughter right, keep her from ever hanging out with boys like me. A lot of good that did. They made mistakes, pushed too hard, tried too hard, and she's stuck with them. At least my mother let me make my own mistakes.

No comments: