20100111

the riders: death, pt. 2

Death kissed me again before I boarded my flight. And then she gave me a look which would have been unsettling at any other time. She didn't accompany me, but I guess she was always there in a way. And then I was home again.

Home. I use the word like it means something. I guess the lab was home now--everything else was barely recognizable. But it was familiar, now. It was clean and untouched by the ravages of war, famine, and pestilence. Famine was still there. And news was still coming in of everything I'd done.

And we were, somehow, happy here. We had everything we could ever want, or need. The world was destroying itself, now, and willingly throwing itself at our feet, while we just strung them along. And I really did have everything I ever wanted. I just wanted to be happy. I didn't know how much it would cost.

And I'm not sure if I'd do it different.

No comments: