20210102

a prelude for 2021

I spent the first day of the new year reading through the comic archive of Bad Machinery, an old favorite. I was unexpectedly spared from working on January 1st like I'd thought I'd have to, and was instead able to spend the day doing something I enjoyed, relaxing, while, apparently, a great deal of rain began to fall on the lowlands of western Washington. After a bit of a cold spell a few weeks back it's been pretty warm, and warmth and water go hand in hand here in the winter.

Normally this is the time of year when people start shuffling their way back to their normal levels of activity after the holidays. It takes a while--the holiday season inflicts a great deal of stress on our society, even for those who enjoy it but especially for those who don't--but once January rolls around it's time to get back to the grind. That's what resolutions are really about: it's about getting up and starting over again.

I don't know what that will look like this year. For all that's happened, that cloud of uncertainty has been a constant companion and I expect that will not change any time soon. Perhaps things will wake up, or perhaps things will begin to drift back into slumber as there are no more holidays to drive all that activity. We're all so tired. 

As glad as I am to put the previous year behind me, I'm still worried about the year to come, but this year, at least, got off to a nice start. I like New Year's Day to be quiet and personal, a time to rest and reflect. I like listening to the rain on the roof. I like revisiting something I loved and taking the time to explore it and remember all the reasons I fell in love with it in the first place.

So rest up, maybe take some time to re-explore some old favorites, do what you have to do to take care of yourself, and when you're ready, get up, dust yourself off, and keep going.

No comments: