20191006

build

A,

I hope this letter finds you well. Actually, I hope it finds you at all--if you knew the trouble I went through to find a messenger who seemed like they might be able to find you... anyway, I do hope you're well.

I know we didn't exactly part on good terms, but . . . I'm trying to build something here and it wouldn't be the same without you. Any time we tried something crazy, knowing you had our backs made it feel possible. And right now I need someone to convince me this is possible. We're trying to build a new community out here, somewhere out of reach of the dying empire and all the petty warlords and their dreams of conquest, somewhere built with love and the desire to create instead of claimed with swords and strategies.

There aren't a lot of us, and it's hard work, but everyone is happy to be a part of something. Even me--I can't remember the last time I was able to sit down at the end of the day and look at something and say "I helped build that. That was mine." You and I watched a city drown, survived countless battles, and for how many years now have we been wandering, convinced that war is all we're good for, looking for answers we'll never find? It doesn't have to be that way.

The messenger knows where to find me. I hope to see you soon--and if not, I hope you find what you're looking for. But so long as this village stands, there will be a place for you here. That's a promise.

Yours,
D

No comments: